Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sydney Part 2

Day 5
 
Today we took the Ferry over to Manley Beach.  We talked to a very nice gentleman from Milan on the way over, who told us how to get to a more private stretch of beach. You can see it in the distance in  a couple of the pictures.  The ferry ride over was beautiful.  We had an extra passenger that perched on the flagpole and flew off at intervals to catch fish. Manley is a pretty beach town with lots of small shops that line very wide walkways. We had a very relaxing day in the sun.
Day 6
 
We took a walk through the Royal Botanical Gardens this morning. The grounds were stunning with water views, beautiful plants, trees, fountains and statues. But there were some major differences.  The flowers had a tropical look and the birds were very different then those we see at home. Cockatoos, parrots, lorikeets, and kookaburras are as common as our crows and robins, and sparrows.  
 
 
 
 
The most unusual sight we saw though was hundreds of Flying Fox bats hanging from the trees! Every once in awhile one of them would take flight to find a new perch.  It was exciting to see so many bats at one time, but I was glad we chose a bright sunny day and not an evening walk.
 
 
 
Later in the afternoon we took a tour of the Sydney Opera House. It is a spectacular structure which houses not only opera, but classical music, comedy, theater,  jazz, and ballet venues as well.  There are several caffes and bars both inside and outside the Opera House complex. They also host outdoor concerts with the Harbour Bridge as a backdrop.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOUR PICTURES DIDN'T COME THROUGH,ONLY A SQUARE WITH A RED X IN IT. MICKEY

Anonymous said...

HI Sis,

I soooooo enjoyed the chance to chat with you online today. You look WONDERFUL - so rested and relaxed!!!

I am getting stronger each day, and am looking forward to getting released to go back to work hopefully next week. I will send you an email after I see the doc for tests and discussion this coming Thursday, and give you an update.

I LOVE you both so much and am thrilled that you are having such a wonderful time.

Love, Love, Love,
Terry

Anonymous said...

HEY SIS,
WHERE ARE YOU? I MISS HEARING FROM YOU. YOU GUYS KEEP SAFE.
LOVE, MICKEY