Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Journey Begins!

Wow! We have been on 3 continents in 2 days!
Vacations usually begin when you reach your destination, but ours began the minute we boarded our flight! We flew Asiana Air to Sydney via Seoul, Korea and it was the most enjoyable flying experience we have ever had! Even though we were seated in economy class, we received first class service. The Boeing 777-200 was divided into 3 sections, with 4 flight attendants serving each section. The seats were extremely comfortable with lots of leg and head room! The blankets were individually sealed in plastic and the pillows were covered in a sateen material instead of the usual gauge-like material of other airlines. Each seat had an individual movie screen with a choice of 16 top current release movies, 4 classic movies, 3 children's movies, and several foreign titles. There were also news, weather, and sports channels, a games console, and several music channels to choose.
We were each given a comfort pack with a pair of socks, an eye mask and a toothbrush/with a small tube of toothpaste. There was a bottle of designer hand cream and aftershave available in the bathrooms along with complimentary combs and additional toothbrushes. There was also a vase with a fresh carnation in each bathroom!
The best part of all though was the crew! The non-stop in-flight service was far and above anything we have ever experienced on any other airline. As soon as we reached cruising altitude, were were given our headphones, followed by individual hot washcloths, then beverage and snack service. Lunch followed shortly afterward, and then beverage service again. All of which took place within the first 2 hours of flight! At anytime during the flight you could push the attendant button to request a beverage, cards, stationary, pen.. etc. Not only was someone at your seat within seconds, they were always pleasant and accommodating. And they always greeted you with a smile, a bow, and a soft voice.
Lunch was a choice of a Western or Korean meal. I chose the Western which consisted of salmon pinwheels, salad, tenderloin steak/burgundy sauce, red potatoes/red peppers, fresh green beans, dinner roll and carrot cake. Pat chose the Korean which included Bi-Bab-Bam, (steamed rice/vegetables/sesame oil & pepper sauce), Kim-Chi, Korean soup, steamed pumpkin, and fresh fruit. The quality and presentation of the food was equal to that of a high end restaurant.
Between the scheduled lunch and snack menu, we were given ham & cheese sandwiches and a beverage. (We thought it was the snack!) The snack that was served later was a ham & mozzarella cheese salad, fresh fruit, and a choice of either Salmon & shrimp /rice or Beef Stroganoff!

ASIANA AIR
SEOUL, KOREA


LANDING IN SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA ----------------INSIDE THE SYDNEY AIRPORT

***********************************************************************************************************************************

3 comments:

Lisa Gustafson said...

Oh Wow Oh Wow what a trip!!!! And the places yet to be seen!! Oh Wow Oh Wow!! So glad the flight was enjoyable!!! Well fed!! Nothing compared to what the McCarthy's flight was like. They missed their connecting flight in Vegas because it left 11 minutes early and that is when the nightmare started. To make this short you two arrived in Australia before they arrived in Florida!! Oh yes they were also hit by lightening. Jim did great..he kept popping his pills and kept a silly gin on his face.
Enjoy every minutes and I will enjoy experiencing this trip through internet. (cheaper but not as fun) Love Lisa

Cory said...

What an exciting trip so far....and you are just getting started!! :) I can't wait to hear more. I definitely want to visit with you sometime soon and hear all about your travels face to face so I can laugh, smile, and hug with you. I miss that!

Love,
Cory

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat & Colleen,

Sounds like you are already having an AMAZING time! Just the airline trip sounds incredible in the extreme! I can't wait to hear all the details and see all the pictures!

Colleen, thank you for calling the hospital to check up on me yesterday. I am sorry we didn't "REALLY" get a chance to converse, but by the time I make my escape from "the necessary room," the phone had already been hung up. [:-(

I got my laptop brought up to my room today and am trying to find out if there is a place I can use it to get online and IM with you (right now, I am "borrowing bandwidth...")

I miss both of you a lot and hope you both enjoy EVERY SINGLE MOMENT of your trip of a lifetime!!!

Love, Love, Love,
Ter